Friday, October 5, 2012

Lighting Scavenger Hunt

 


The space function is the studio place at fourth floor in the department of interior architecture. The purpose of using fluorescent type of lamp in this area is to focus on tasks. The feeling I have when I am in this space is being comfortable and relaxed. It is a pleasant space for me to focus on my studies. This task lighting is located overhead and the light is bright enough to study. I think there is adequate amount of uniform lighting in this space.





The space is on the second floor lounge at the Gatewood studio arts building. The light is hazy, and dull, making me feel cramped, and uninspired. I feel tense when I am in this space.  I walk through the space periodically for access to the vending machines, and the experience is not a pleasant one. I think the main problem with the space is the uneven lighting quality, emphasized by the translucent yellow shade on the compact fluorescent bulb.  The color of the light is too warm creating an uncomfortable feeling of heat. The light fixtures are too bright to look at directly into the space.  The lighting is not appropriate for the activities used for the space, leaving the room too dimly lit for its purpose.
 





As I enter the lobby of the  Mossman  building on the UNCG campus, the architecture volume of the space has a predominant presence.  The multi-layer quality of lighting techniques adequately suits the proportions of the space with a combination of various fluorescent lighting.  The 2-story open atrium style architecture contains strong-bright luminance from the coffered ceilings above with supportive moderate luminance from the 2nd open hallways and the 1st story alcoves of office area.  Another layer of lighting is provided by the clear glass doorways to the outside space at opposite ends of the lobby area.  The  Mossman  lobby is comfortably free with an abundance of uniform lighting for all activities within the space.



No comments:

Post a Comment